Project export: delete image cache to avoid tons of gb for an export

Hi all,

in a project which is currently not that old, we have an amount of ~3gb tons of image-cache (for all resolutions)...

(the screen shows old stats)

These cached images are generations from all resolutions to avoid loadings during the first generation...

but are delivered again and again in every export. There is no capability to delete that cache.

(we more need a smaller export than a fast first-generation)

So when you have a need to archive or transport these exports, it takes you down in speed and space size.

If you could do an export without any cached-images, the export would shrink to ~10-15%.

2015-02-04 12_24_19-_exportMuchTooLarge.png

This feature is e-Spirit internal known as ID #167750.

In my point of view, cache should be deleteable at all.

Cheers,

Maik

6 Comments
Martin_Dirlewan
Returning Observer

Has anyone an idea how to clear/delete the Media_Store_Cached_Picture cache in FirstSpirit 5.1?

feddersen
Community Manager
Community Manager

This feature is available since FirstSpirit 5.2R2.

mfinsterbusch
New Responder

hi feddersen​,

is there an option to trigger this not using export / import? soo like trigger on demand.

thanks & best,

maik

feddersen
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Maik,

I think the archiving function is what you're looking for.

Check the release notes for 2020-02 for details: [RELEASE] FirstSpirit™ 2020-02 released

Christoph

mfinsterbusch
New Responder

hi Christoph,

thanks for answering, but no, this is not working.

'This method has been improved in the latest FirstSpirit release. Using project archiving (the “Archive old project states” schedule), all calculated media/pictures whose resolutions are no longer available in the project can now be removed from the image cache. These resolutions were previously removed via “Project properties” – “Resolutions” – “Delete”.'

in my case, these resolutions were not deleted but also created new (/w different config).

This leads to the case that these MEDIA_STORE_CACHED_PICTURES are not deleted / re-calculated new by the archiving.

So what is needed is a cache-flush on demand for certain resolution, recursively of a starting mediafolder-node.

thanks and best,

Maik

feddersen
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Maik,

as stated in the quote, the clearing only applies to resolutions that no longer exist. My suggestion is to talk to our technical support and explain what you're trying to do. Maybe using the feature between the two steps does what you're trying to do. So deleting the resolutions, use the "delete cache" and add resolution with new dimensions afterward.