halil
New Creator

Our server logs the messages to fs-server.log in UTC. How can I change this to CET.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hoebbel
Crownpeak employee

Dear Halil,

I suspect that it is because the time zone has not yet been changed to CET when FirstSpirit is started via systemd. This could be a timing problem.
If I am informed correctly, the time zone in RHEL is set via timedatectl at startup. So the systemd process starts both FirstSpirit and sets the correct time zone.
If you are lucky, you can fix this by changing the order in which the processes start. But I'm afraid that won't work, because probably the timezone used is the one that was valid when the systemd process started - and that is probably UTC.
This is not a FirstSpirit problem, but here a Linux admin is needed - unfortunately I have to pass here.

best regards
Holger

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
hoebbel
Crownpeak employee

Dear halil,

FirstSpirit uses the local server time for all log entries. 

Best regards
Holger

0 Kudos

The problem occurs whenever the OS (RedHat Linux) reboots. FS-Server is also started after reboot automaticaly via systemd and after that, it only logs in UTC, even though the "date" command on linux outputs the local time. Only after we start the FS-Server manually once again, it starts to log with local-server time. What could be the conflict here?

0 Kudos
hoebbel
Crownpeak employee

Dear Halil,

I suspect that it is because the time zone has not yet been changed to CET when FirstSpirit is started via systemd. This could be a timing problem.
If I am informed correctly, the time zone in RHEL is set via timedatectl at startup. So the systemd process starts both FirstSpirit and sets the correct time zone.
If you are lucky, you can fix this by changing the order in which the processes start. But I'm afraid that won't work, because probably the timezone used is the one that was valid when the systemd process started - and that is probably UTC.
This is not a FirstSpirit problem, but here a Linux admin is needed - unfortunately I have to pass here.

best regards
Holger

0 Kudos