liam_davison
I'm new here

How to debug the error message "Action Failed"

I am writing ToolbarActionItems but am facing some very inconsistent and unhelpful error messages.

"Action failed" must be the least helpful error message FirstSpirit gives! How can I debug it?

The full log is just this:

07.03.2017 14:50:59 (de.espirit.firstspirit.webedit.server.RemoteBatchLoggingServiceImpl): WebEdit client error occurred:

FSVersion=5.1.605.72781#4207;JDK=1.7.0_25 64bit Oracle Corporation;OS=Linux 2.6.32-642.3.1.el6.x86_64 amd64;Date=07.03.2017 14:50:59

java.lang.Throwable: Action failed

at java.lang.Throwable.Throwable(Throwable.java:49)

at java.lang.Exception.Exception(Exception.java:25)

at de.espirit.firstspirit.webedit.client.util.ServiceFailedException.ServiceFailedException(ServiceFailedException.java:16)

at de.espirit.firstspirit.webedit.client.util.ServiceFailedException_FieldSerializer.instantiate(ServiceFailedException_FieldSerializer.java:25)

at com.google.gwt.user.client.rpc.impl.SerializerBase$MethodMap.$instantiate(SerializerBase.java:53)

at com.google.gwt.user.client.rpc.impl.SerializerBase.$instantiate(SerializerBase.java:108)

at com.google.gwt.user.client.rpc.impl.AbstractSerializationStreamReader.$readObject(AbstractSerializationStreamReader.java:103)

at com.google.gwt.user.client.rpc.impl.RequestCallbackAdapter.onResponseReceived(RequestCallbackAdapter.java:198)

at com.google.gwt.http.client.Request.$fireOnResponseReceived(Request.java:236)

at com.google.gwt.http.client.RequestBuilder$1.onReadyStateChange(RequestBuilder.java:409)

at Unknown.<anonymous>(https://pags101a01.afrcprod.scotland.gov.uk:8443/fs5webedit_22550/de.espirit.firstspirit.webedit.Mai...)

at com.google.gwt.core.client.impl.Impl.apply(Impl.java:186)

at com.google.gwt.core.client.impl.Impl.entry0(Impl.java:225)

at Unknown.<anonymous>(https://pags101a01.afrcprod.scotland.gov.uk:8443/fs5webedit_22550/de.espirit.firstspirit.webedit.Mai...)

I am trying to trigger releasing and publishing without using a FirstSpirit workflow. Trying to understand why and where it fails when all I get is an "Action failed" message is not helpful.

Is there a problem with ContentCreator? My module code? Something wrong with the Page or Dataset? I just don't know.

I've also noticed that some code simply throws "Exception", which isn't very helpful.

With thanks,

Liam Davison

PS - Here's an even-less-helpful "Action failed" stacktrace:

07.03.2017 15:03:03 ERROR 07.03.2017 15:03:03.110 (de.espirit.firstspirit.webedit.server.RemoteBatchLoggingServiceImpl): WebEdit client error occurred:

FSVersion=5.1.605.72781#4207;JDK=1.7.0_25 64bit Oracle Corporation;OS=Linux 2.6.32-642.3.1.el6.x86_64 amd64;Date=07.03.2017 15:03:03

java.lang.Throwable: Action failed

at Unknown.at Vo(Unknown Source)

at Unknown.at dKe(Unknown Source)

at Unknown.at fKe(Unknown Source)

at Unknown.at $Tb(Unknown Source)

at Unknown.at WTb(Unknown Source)

at Unknown.at QRb(Unknown Source)

at Unknown.at MSb(Unknown Source)

at Unknown.at AF(Unknown Source)

at Unknown.at UF(Unknown Source)

0 Kudos
4 Replies
marza
I'm new here

Hi Liam,

looks indeed very strange and I see it the first time. Without any code it is hard to guess what went wrong. So please provide it to give you better support.

To have a better error reporting you should encapsulate your code with a try-catch-clause and use the logging methods of the ToolbarContext or ContextMenuContext (see API documentation for more information). Please include the original exception when logging, so that you get a proper stacktrace later on.

Why is the normal workflow process inconvenient to you? What are you trying to accomplish? Maybe we can give you hints for a better solution.

You should know that the "admin release process" (as available in the SiteArchitect) has it limits.

Therefore we published a module called Basic Workflows at GitHub:

GitHub - e-Spirit/basicworkflows: Basic Workflows for FirstSpirit

You can obtain a binary release from our technical support. You are encouraged to modify the Basic Workflows to your needs if wanted.

Regards

Marian

0 Kudos

Thank you Marian,

A lot of the errors went away when I restarted the FirstSpirit server, but I will try to do more tests and add additional logging.

As a developer I would be happy to use the Basic Workflows. But our business users asked for a one-click-to-release-and-publish mechanism. Even the simplest workflow I built had too many mouse clicks for them. They do not use FirstSpirit to manage editorial flow (creation, editing, approval, etc). I think that is a bad idea and that we should use Workflows, but it is not my choice Smiley Sad.

I'll write back with better logs when I have them.

Regards,

Liam

0 Kudos

Hi Liam,

as far as I understood they want to save and have an immediate release? In this case you are right there is no way to use Basic Workflows or other workflows even if you could develop an automatic release.

Regards

Marian

0 Kudos

Hello Liam, 

do you need further help or did Marian's reply already help you? If so, it would be great if you marked

his reply as "correct answer" so that other community users find the solution easily. If you have

already found a solution by yourself, it would be very kind of you, if you posted it here. 

Best regards 

Jan

0 Kudos