mcheungspeedo
I'm new here

Deleting pages

Hi Technical,

:smileyalert: Why is it that when you delete a page from the administration GUI that it does not delete from the physical server/database? :smileyconfused: :smileyshocked:

This is a major concern for us since having your system for 3 years.

We are having very old pages (even though the reference in the admin has been deleted) still showing up on search engines.

Is there a solution around this?

Michael.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
feddersen
Community Manager

It's hard to tell without any project knowledge, but in general:

• you have to release a deletion of a page as well. Otherwise it will still be visible in the live webpage
  • You have to perform a full generation and a full deployment to complete sync the live system. A partial deployment won't delete anything on the live system by default.

Hi Christoph,

Thank you for the return response.

This is helpful information and we have more of an answer than we have ever had which is great Smiley Happy.

We have been told that we can not deploy our full website to the system.

Is there another work around to this if we can not deploy the full system?

Michael.

0 Kudos

You could model an "undeploy", e.g. with rsync on the parent folder of the deleted page.

And for search engines you could generate a sitemap XML which is then used by search engines when crawling your site.

Peter
0 Kudos

Thanks pjodeleit,

Sorry what do you mean by "e.g. with rsync on the parent folder of the deleted page.".

How would Administrators of the site resync?

Or are you saying that would be the IT technical support team at our company that would do this, I can not see the menu option to do this from within the general Admin backend of the site?

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Thanks pjodeleit,

I dont understand your answer fully.

Sorry what do you mean by "e.g. with rsync on the parent folder of the deleted page.".

How would Administrators of the site resync?

Or are you saying that would be the IT technical support team at our company that would do this, I can not see the menu option to do this from within the general Admin backend of the site?

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Sorry for the very long delay, but your post was during my vacation and I stumbled upon today by 'accident'. This board is not very good at presenting you stuff you haven't already read Smiley Sad

So back to topic: In the documentation there is an example for rsync deployment. With some knowledge of rsync itself this should be extendable to a solution which does the desired stuff. Clearly this is no 'point&click' solution, sorry.

--Peter

Peter
0 Kudos

Hello Michael,

Michael Cheung schrieb:

We have been told that we can not deploy our full website to the system.

Is there another work around to this if we can not deploy the full system?

What is the reason for the statement, that you cannot deploy the full website?

Maybe there is a workaround, so that the problem can be solved by a regular full deployment.

Best regards,

Holger

0 Kudos