ldriver
I'm new here

Can CMS_FOR be used to iterate over pages in the Page store?

Jump to solution

I have a CMS_FUNCTION and Query, and use CMS_FOR to iterate over each row in the entity.  This works well, but I would like to do the same thing, but instead of iterating over rows in a table, I want to iterate over pages in the Page store.

Is it possible to pass a parent folder as the Object in a CMS_FOR, and iterate over the list of pages?  Ultimately, if this is possible, I want to dynamically built a list (<li>) of CMS_REF links which use these pages.  I'm aware I could add a link template, or catalog, or something to make the pages select-able, but I'm talking about 1000 pages, so I don't want to have to select each one for use in a list or catalog, I would rather just pass the parent folder uid, and grab all the children pages in that folder.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
felix_reinhold
Returning Responder

Hello Leland,

you can use CMS_FOR  to iterate over any kind of iterable. Therefore you can iterate over all children of type "Page" of a "PageFolder" (e. g. PageStoreRoot). But you wrote, that you want to create links so I guess you meant the SiteStore. You have the same possibilities there - you can iterate over all children of type "PageRef" of a "PageRefFolder".

Example :

$-- First get the SiteStoreRoot. You could also get a specific folder from the SiteStore --$

$CMS_SET(siteStoreRoot, #global.getStore(class("de.espirit.firstspirit.access.store.Store$Type").SITESTORE, true))$

$CMS_SET(recursive, true)$ $-- Set to true if you want to iterate recursivley over subfolders too --$

$CMS_FOR(pageref, siteStoreRoot.getChildren(class("de.espirit.firstspirit.access.sitestore.PageRef"),recursive))$

$--now you can create a link--$

$CMS_REF(pageref)$

$CMS_END_FOR$

I just wrote this with my smartphone with no access to the api reference. Therefore there might be some small mistakes or typos in there.

Best regards

Felix

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
felix_reinhold
Returning Responder

Hello Leland,

you can use CMS_FOR  to iterate over any kind of iterable. Therefore you can iterate over all children of type "Page" of a "PageFolder" (e. g. PageStoreRoot). But you wrote, that you want to create links so I guess you meant the SiteStore. You have the same possibilities there - you can iterate over all children of type "PageRef" of a "PageRefFolder".

Example :

$-- First get the SiteStoreRoot. You could also get a specific folder from the SiteStore --$

$CMS_SET(siteStoreRoot, #global.getStore(class("de.espirit.firstspirit.access.store.Store$Type").SITESTORE, true))$

$CMS_SET(recursive, true)$ $-- Set to true if you want to iterate recursivley over subfolders too --$

$CMS_FOR(pageref, siteStoreRoot.getChildren(class("de.espirit.firstspirit.access.sitestore.PageRef"),recursive))$

$--now you can create a link--$

$CMS_REF(pageref)$

$CMS_END_FOR$

I just wrote this with my smartphone with no access to the api reference. Therefore there might be some small mistakes or typos in there.

Best regards

Felix

0 Kudos

Hello Leland,

another possibility might be, if you want to generate a kind of menu or sitemap there is built-in support called Navigation function in FirstSpirit for that:

Creating Sitemaps for Search Engines

http://www.e-spirit.com/odfs52/template-develo/template-syntax/functions/header/navigation/

Regards,

Marian

0 Kudos
mbergmann
Crownpeak employee

Hi Leland,

do you really mean the Page store (green)? If yes, please keep in mind that a CMS_REF to page objects will only work in the SA preview but not on the generated pages because page objects don't have an URL.

Michael

0 Kudos