fabian_dahms_it
I'm new here

SiteArchitect freezes on Mac OS X

Hello Community,

I'm using FirstSpirit on a Mac with OSX Catalina. When I try to change the content in the edit area the program freeezes. In the activity log I can see that CPU is at 100% (and sometimes more) and the memory usage rises up from 1GB to over 20GB and more. Eventually SiteArchitect will crash. Sometimes it does recover and the action was performed. But every new click triggers the same behaviour - rise of cpu and memory usage.

I can edit items in the tree view on the left side. I can even switch between edit and non edit mode. Only clicking in the large edit area triggers this behaviour.

I tried it with the java version installed on the system (Java 8 Build 241) and the latest FS Launcher 1.0.25 (Java 11.0.3).

Computer specs:

OS X 10.15.2

16GB RAM

2.4 GHz Quad-Core i5

I would appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction and help me to solve this issue.

Best regards

Fabian

5 Replies
Hendrik
New Responder

Hi fabian.dahms.itools,

I had similar issues with a 16" MBP, macOS Catalina and the newest FS launcher version installed. Connected to FS in version 2018-07, all attempts to open tabs in the editing area except languages / meta data resulted in exceptions - very frustrating. On my older 13" MBP  with macOS Mojave I had no issues and I recognized, that there is an older FS launcher in version 1.0.18 installed. After installing the older version also on the 16" MBP solved the issues I had. Please find attached the FS launcher in version 1.0.18, maybe (hopefully) this version will solve your issues to - you should give it a try 🙂

Hendrik

0 Kudos

Hi Hendrik,

thanks for the file. This version of the launcher I did already use, before switching to the latest version.

The point where it gets weird is that at some of my colleague's MBP it does work. Some are on OS X Catalina, some on High Sierra and Mojave. We're using Launcher 1.0.18 as well as 1.0.25.

The first spirit version is ==> Release: 2018-10

Fabian

0 Kudos

Hi fabian.dahms.itools​,

too bad it didn't help. But if your colleagues have a similar working setup, you should try to figure out the differences between the systems.. I have no other idea.

Btw: I can reproduce the issue you described in your first post only, when I disable the FS launcher usage and switch over to JNLP with Java Web Start version 11.241.2.07 / JRE-Version 1.8.0_241-b07. Then the SiteArchitects behavior is exactly as you described it..

Hendrik

0 Kudos

Hi Hendrik​,

now I know the difference between the systems. Some of us - including me - have installed the App "Magnet". When this app is deactivated FirstSpirit runs as expected. If it is activated prior or even while working with FS, the SiteArchitect will show this behaviour as described above. I don't know why Magnet is disturbing FirstSpirit that much. I will contact the developer. Maybe one day we'll have a version of Magnet that's not interfering with FS.

Thanks anyway and best regards

Fabian

Hi fabian.dahms.itools,

interesting detail - I'm also using Magnet in version 2.4.5, and when I quit the Magnet app the SiteArchitect with my local Java installation (Java Web Start version 11.241.2.07 / JRE-Version 1.8.0_241-b07) is running pretty well, mentioned issues doesn't appear then Smiley Happy

Finally you found the reason and with the solution to quit Magnet during SiteArchitects usage you have a working workaround, pretty nice!

Hendrik

0 Kudos