fiach_dillon
I'm new here

First Spirit Project Solution

Jump to solution

I would like to know what is the recommend solution for a project where content should be reusable in two or more online portals/websites. And the customer has chosen a singel project.

The Project has 12 languages. What would interest me what are the limits of a single project solution.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marza
I'm new here

Hello Fiach,

to provide some more helpful hints, we first need to know what kind of content (text, pictures, other files?) and how or on which level (e.g. with style information or without, page level or paragraph level) should the content be reused?

If your license allows you to add an other content channel with type HTML you could manage one or more websites with same content but different markup or style in one single project. You would have to create for every website a deployment where you select the content channel. The number of languages is not a problem to handle by FS but to manage by human editors.

But there are some other solutions like product extensions as well.

For instance, there are DAM (digital asset management) integrations (for Cumulus or Pixelboxx) listed on our Marketplace​ if you want to work with media files.

Or if you plan to rely on FS only there is the possibility to use an other project as source for media files as mention in our ODFS (remote media😞 http://www.e-spirit.com/odfs52/templates-basic/composition-tem/link-templates/examples/remote-links/​.

Another feature is corporate content, see http://www.e-spirit.com/odfs52/edocs/fsar/firstspirit-sit/menu-bar/corporate-conte/ for more information.

Regarding translations from one human language to another there are integrations as well: TranslationStudio and TranslationConnect (see again in our Marketplace).

Last but not least we offer a way to maximize the reusability or the monetization of content by FirstSpirit CaaS (Content as a Service) which can operate in the cloud.

So depending on you likes and aims there are a few possibilities.

I hope I could give you a brief introduction. Don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Regards

Marian

View solution in original post

5 Replies
marza
I'm new here

Hello Fiach,

to provide some more helpful hints, we first need to know what kind of content (text, pictures, other files?) and how or on which level (e.g. with style information or without, page level or paragraph level) should the content be reused?

If your license allows you to add an other content channel with type HTML you could manage one or more websites with same content but different markup or style in one single project. You would have to create for every website a deployment where you select the content channel. The number of languages is not a problem to handle by FS but to manage by human editors.

But there are some other solutions like product extensions as well.

For instance, there are DAM (digital asset management) integrations (for Cumulus or Pixelboxx) listed on our Marketplace​ if you want to work with media files.

Or if you plan to rely on FS only there is the possibility to use an other project as source for media files as mention in our ODFS (remote media😞 http://www.e-spirit.com/odfs52/templates-basic/composition-tem/link-templates/examples/remote-links/​.

Another feature is corporate content, see http://www.e-spirit.com/odfs52/edocs/fsar/firstspirit-sit/menu-bar/corporate-conte/ for more information.

Regarding translations from one human language to another there are integrations as well: TranslationStudio and TranslationConnect (see again in our Marketplace).

Last but not least we offer a way to maximize the reusability or the monetization of content by FirstSpirit CaaS (Content as a Service) which can operate in the cloud.

So depending on you likes and aims there are a few possibilities.

I hope I could give you a brief introduction. Don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Regards

Marian

Hello Marian,

Firstly Thank you! for show interest in this topic.

The content is composed of text which is maintained in a typical paragraph template and there are images (Media Store) which are also maintained on the this level.

Another form of content could have is a document list (Media Store) which is also on paragraph level.

A content page consist of one or more paragraph templates and can be reused in the site store for either website/portal:

The requirement is that all content should be stored and maintained in First Spirit this of course leads to the question "limits of a single project solution".

And there is the issue that the site store and the content store overtime will become increasingly lager and more abstract however this is as you have mentioned the challenge for the human editors.

However the system (First Spirit) has also its challenges to handle e.g 10,000 images, 7000 documents (pdf, doc, etc).

As for the site store there could be around 3000+ pages but most of the pages are belonging to a Processes Page with one or more steps, and a step would be a equal to a content page and a page reference.

I would Interest me to know at which point in all the solutions which you mentioned should be integrated:

• DAM (digital asset management)

At which point should a DAM be used and not First Spirit to hold X size images.

• Corporate Content && Remote Media

Here would be the issue that this is no longer a single project solution which is what the requirements ask for.

• Caas (Content as a Service)

This is possible the most suitable solution for re-usable content for more touch points, however for this case would not the possible.

I look forward to more information on this.

Thank you! and greetings,

Fiach

0 Kudos

Well,

I understand the needs to save license costs but consider that a lot of settings are maintained by FS per project. So if you put one or more projects into one by force you have to deal with a lot new problems since configuration for different websites is getting hard. Or you accept that all settings must be shared by all sites.

For example if not all websites share the same amount of languages than you have to fill out forms for languages at pages you won't need at certain sites. The makes the life for editors harder than it must be.

At the end this all could make the whole project more complex and therefore more expensive to maintain than just to buy the right license. If you need more and deeper consultancy on this matter please get in touch with our colleagues from solutions engineering. I can provide a contact if necessary.

You should also take into account that FirstSpirit is an backoffice system which delivers content to live systems (such as a cluster of HTTP servers) while FirstSpirit CaaS is designed from start to be a live system that can be scaled by cloud services very well.

At which amount of pictures a DAM would perform better that FirstSpirit is the wrong question to ask since a DAM focus again on the live operations. The reason why we integrate with such systems is because you want to compose pages which use e.g. the images of such a DAM. Nobody wants copy URLs by hand. Of cause - depending on the integration - FirstSpirit can act as Client to that DAM and upload images. So the editor has to know only one system: FirstSpirit.

To be future proof I would go for CaaS with an Angular web app and not only because I'm one of the guys who builds it.

Regards

Marian

0 Kudos

Hello Marian,

thank you for your answers on this topic. I think that I have a better understanding of the possibilities of First Spirit.

I would gladly accept the contact information.

I do have tho one last request and then "FIN". Could you recommend any further information/documentation which I could read up on?

Thank you and best regards,

Fiach

0 Kudos

Hello Fiach,

I would like to recommend to you that you talk to one of our architects. If you write an e-mail to me (waltenberg@e-spirit.com) with your data, I'll put you in contact with one of my colleagues.

Best Regards

Knuth Waltenberg

--

e-Spirit AG

Knuth Waltenberg

Vice President Professional Services

0 Kudos