A_Jain
I'm new here

Change reference name of an object

Hello,

Is it possible to change reference name of an object such that it also updates the pages where it is referenced with new reference name?

Thanks.

Kind Regards,

Ashish Jain

0 Kudos
12 Replies
mbergmann
Crownpeak employee

Hi Ashish,

there is no builtin functionality for this. Theoretically, you could create a script/module that finds all referencing elements before the change and then update the reference. But this will definitely not be that easy as there are many cases you would have to handle so I would definitely not recommend it.

If this is a once only task for just one element a manual approach would be much easier.

One thing to keep in mind is to also update the release state.

Is there a special reason why you want to change the uid?

Michael

0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Yes this is once only task but not for a single element. We have to change reference name of all the media elements of the project. Change sounds simple, just replacing a word in reference name. But there are lot of Media elements and almost all pages refer to atleast 1 media element. Creating a script would be the last option as it would be very risky.

Ashish Jain

0 Kudos
mikula
Crownpeak employee

Yes, it could be risky, this is the reason why there is no built in functionality ...

0 Kudos
mbergmann
Crownpeak employee

Hi Ashish,

one point often forgotten is the impact when restoring older revisions. Even if you manage to update all pages with the new reference, you'll get into trouble when restoring an older revision of the page that of course still contains a reference using the "old" name.

Again, ist there a special reason why you want to change the uids?

Michael

0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

I know there would be trouble restoring older versions. But then it would be same if we do it manually for all the pages.

Our FirstSpirt is connected with Pixelboxx DAM system for using Media. Reference name of Media in FirstSpirit corresponds Media ID or Asset Id in Pixelboxx. Soon we are expecting all the Asset IDs in Pixelboxx to be updated. After this update we will not able to link FirstSpirt to Pixelboxx because reference name of Media in FirstSprit will no more be same as Asset ID in Pixelboxx.That is the reason we will also have to update reference name of Media elements in FirstSpirit projects.

Ashish Jain

0 Kudos
mbergmann
Crownpeak employee

Hi Ashish,

to be honest I think the problem here is the concept of relying on identical "primary" identifiers across two systems. A foreign identifier (when talking about distinct systems) should always be just some kind of "metadata".

I'd strongly recommend to remove that kind of dependency. An approach may be to store the Pixelboxx asset ID separately in a metadata field of the FirstSpirit media element.

Michael

0 Kudos
A_Jain
I'm new here

Hi Michael,

Unfortunately this is how PixelboxxConnect module is designed. This module is also developed by e-Spirt. And there is no option to remove this dependency.

Best Regards

Ashish Jain

0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Unfortunately this is how PixelboxxConnect module is designed. This module is also developed by e-Spirt. And there is no option to remove this dependency.

Best Regards

Ashish Jain

0 Kudos
mikula
Crownpeak employee

Hello Ashish,

first of all, this is not correct. We (e-Spirit) do not develop this product/module. As far as I know, this is a module, developed by on of our partners "Arithnea". I will contact Arithnea right after this post and will make them aware of this issue (maybe Arithnea does already know).

Best Regards

Martin

0 Kudos