msun
New Creator

Changing the name of a branched page

If I were to change the name of a branched version of a page, then publish the branched page as the new version of the page, would it work without causing any issues? Do we need to add a redirect from the old URL to the new one if we do this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DavidGreenberg
Crownpeak Employee

If you want to rename the page, I would recommend doing as you said, branching the page, renaming it, and publishing the branch.

However if you want to make a new page from a copy of the original I recommend cloning the page instead.

--

David Greenberg
Customer Support Engineer

## If I’ve helped, accept this response as a solution so that other’s can find is more quickly in the future.
## Have thoughts on Crownpeak products? We'd love to hear them. Speak with the Crownpeak Product Team..

0 Kudos

One thing to keep in mind is that the CMS does not remove files from the server on a branch and publish. So if you branch your page and rename the branch, the file with the original name could be orphaned on the site. To avoid this, you could route your original asset to draft prior to publishing the branched version. The CMS removes files from the server when you delete an asset, retire an asset or route an asset to a lower state. However, this does not apply to branch transitions. An example of a branch transition would be when the original live asset is retired due to a branch being published to live and effectively replacing the original. 

The alternative would just be to clone the asset as mentioned. However, if you clone an asset any links to the original asset would need to be re-linked to the new one. 

--

Edward Chan
Sr Product Consultant

## If I’ve helped, accept this response as a solution so that other’s can find is more quickly in the future.
## Have thoughts on Crownpeak products? We'd love to hear them. Speak with the Crownpeak Product Team..