Digital Quality Management
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DQM Checkpoints and Standards

Checkpoints - Include information about document size within or next to the link

Including the file type and size provides users with information about the file before they choose to open or download the file. This decreases cognitive load for users, where the information is easy to understand and provides a more positive user experience.

Affects: Usability
Technical Details: This checkpoint examines the entire HTML source code of a page and reports if the <a href> tag contains the file type PDF/DOC/PPT/XLS and it isn't followed by a description that contains the file size such as KB/MB.
References: N/A
Examples: <a href="link_to_a_document.pdf" target="_blank">Document (25kb)</a>
<a href="link_to_a_document.pdf" target="_blank">Document (25mb)</a>
Labels (1)
Comments

Hi,

Could you please share any references for this?

Thanks,

Aakash Bathla

Hello Aakash,

I have updated the article to provide a couple of examples that will pass this checkpoint.  We will search and find any <a> tags that reference a PDF, DOC, PPT, XLS, etc.  In that <a> tag we will search for the file size and if not found it will get flagged as an issue.  What I recommend is adding the size in the link text, see the examples above.  Those will pass the checkpoint as they contain the size and kb or mb.  Let us know if that helps or if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

Randy

Do you have to put the file size in the link text? can you add it in the <a> tag itself? 

I.e. instead of this: <a href="link_to_a_document.pdf" target="_blank">Document (25mb)</a></p>

what about this way?
<a href="link_to_a_document.pdf" target="_blank" title="File size is 25mb">Document</a></p>

Thank you, RT

Hello RT,

Your example will not pass the standard rule for this checkpoint.  The file size has to be in the link text or next to it.  It's best to include the file size in the link text.  This rule can be customized so I'm using the default/standard rule to show what will pass and what will not.  If you have a question on if something will pass it's best to submit a support case to crownpeak and we will be happy to check any examples against the rules in place for your instance.

Version history
Revision #:
4 of 4
Last update:
a week ago
Updated by:

Looking for more?
Ask in Discussions
Developers

Peer-to-peer support  and answers on developing CMS templates, modifying privacy scripts or building integrations.

Digital Experience Management

Find answers and ask questions on content management, personalization and targeting.

Digital Quality Management

Find answers and ask questions on WCAG and SEO quality management.

Digital Governance

Find answers and ask questions on consent and monitoring solutions.