Exclude data from CaaS

Goal: Have controll over what data is in the CaaS

What and Why?

We want to avoid that certain data lands in the CaaS for various reasons:

• Data from a synthetik transport language, that is only used to offer content to other editors, who would copy / adapt the content to their own content. The complete language is an internal part, which does not need to be in the CaaS and it would also be an extra security step to not have it in the CaaS, because it is only internal data.
  • Data which is marked as "not translated": This may be data that is invalid or incomplete. We what to avoid it being processed further.
  • Data from a project import from another CMS, that is stored in specific input fields. This data is a lot. And again not needed in the CaaS, because it is only in the FirstSpirit as refernce for the editor to build the new content from. As this is really a lot of data, it would really blow up the CaaS unnecessarily, which may cause a preformance issue.

Who is it for?

As this would possibly increase the security, performance and flexibility, it could benefit a lot of different users.

How could it be done?

Here are some ideas how this could look:

• Make use of the setting, if a language should be generated. No generation => no CaaS
  • Make use of the "translated" marker: Not translated => no CaaS
  • Add an option to the input fields like such: sendToCaas="no" (default: "yes")
  • Add a property, which may be set via a rule:

<RULE>
  <WITH>
    <PROPERTY source="st_doNotSendToCaas" name="VALUE"/>
  </WITH>
  <DO>
    <PROPERTY source="#global" name="NOTTOCAAS"/>
  </DO>
</RULE>​

7 Comments
Tim_Rother
Crownpeak (Retired)

Hi @cpe

many thanks for your input. This seems to be valid use case and we will add this to the development backlog. I will keep you posted on further updates.

As you mention performance as one of the advantages: Did you face any CaaS performance problems lately?

Second question is on flexibility: Could you please elaborate that a bit further?

Tim_Rother
Crownpeak (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Peter_Jodeleit
Crownpeak employee
Crownpeak employee

Concerning

> Make use of the "translated" marker: Not translated => no CaaS

Please see this documentation about the treatment of hidden sections inside the CaaS. Does this cover your needs?

cpe
Elite Observer

Hey @Tim_Rother,

thanks! 🙂

Concerning performance: No, we do not have a problem in the project this came up in, but we are not working with the CaaS-part so far. This will be done by the customers team later on. But we are migrating their projects from another CMS to first spirit. As there is a lot of data and especially meta data in there, we are mapping everything and dumping everything else in a separate area, which is just in case something is really wrong and we need to check that. So this data will never be in the generated part, is a lot and would really bloat up the CaaS. I suspect that it will be rather realistic that this could become a performance issue and a very unnecessary one at that, hence my wanting to exclude it from the beginning.

Concerning flexibility: I think, this is more a soft spot on my part, because I like to have controll over what data goes where. I can not remember the example I had in mind while adding that point.

Cheers
Connz

cpe
Elite Observer

Hey @Peter_Jodeleit,

thanks! That sounds great and would cover my current case, yes!

How do I hide sections? Is this the checkmark on the section in the language tabs that says "include this section in the output" that corresponds to the INCLUDED property?

Cheers
Connz

Peter_Jodeleit
Crownpeak employee
Crownpeak employee

Hi Connz,

Yes, it's this checkmark. In the ContentCreator it's the blue checkmark in the upper right corner of the edit window.

Peter
Tim_Rother
Crownpeak (Retired)

Hi @cpe

Thanks for the further explanation. We will dive into it and evaluate it further regarding e.g. effort, pervasiveness and value.

Have a great day

Tim